Central humidifiers are built right into the heating and air conditioning system. They are designed to humidify your home by releasing a fine water vapor. While humidifiers are very useful, they do have the potential to make you quite ill if you do not maintain them properly.
Humidifiers are great at providing relief from dry skin, dry sinuses, bloody noses, and other respiratory ailments that are sometimes attributed to lack of moisture in the air. However, if not properly cleaned, dirty humidifiers can become a breeding ground for mold and bacteria. Be sure to consult your doctor before installing or using a central humidifier if you have asthma, allergies or any other respiratory health conditions.
Always follow manufacturer’s guidelines when setting humidity levels, as well as instructions for properly cleaning the humidifier. Your HVAC professional can also help guide you in proper use and maintenance of your unit. Here are a few tips for maintaining the cleanliness of your humidifier:
- Always shut off the water supply before cleaning the drum and tray. Do this at least once monthly.
- Inspect the float assembly for scale. Scale on the float can potentially cause leaks. Clean or replace.
- Examine the area around your system for wetness, as this is an indication of a leak.
- Clean or replace sponges or filters.
- Always turn off the water supply during the summer months & clean and drain the drum and tray. If you have air conditioning, there could be a metal knob on the humidifier to block the air flow.
Over time, all humidifiers can build up deposits that can become very difficult to clean and remove. This can encourage growth of bacteria or mold. You may wish to consider replacing older humidifiers.
Looking for the Best Company for NJ Central Humidifiers & Installation Services?
DRX Duct Cleaning has been in business for over 10 years proudly serving the greater NJ area. Our staff has combined over 75 years of experience in the air duct cleaning and HVAC industry. Additionally, not only are we NADCA members, but we guarantee an NADCA certified technician on site at every job, every time, no exceptions! For more information or to schedule an appointment with the most exclusive air duct cleaners in NJ, contact us at 908-755-2950 today.