Every year around the time the temperatures begin to drop, we all start to think about getting our fireplace, wood stove and furnace chimney inspected and cleaned. There’s more than one chimney that we need to be aware of, though. The truth is, a clogged hot water or furnace chimney can be extremely dangerous. Properly venting any fuel burning appliance is something to take very seriously.
How To Check For Clogs
If heat is bellowing out from the bottom of the smoke pipe on your hot water heater, it can mean there is a clog in the flue to the roof. If it feels unusually hot, call in your heating professional right away.
Place your hand in front of the burner section of your furnace. The excessive heat felt in this area can also be an indicator of a problem in the chimney. Newer furnaces have updated safety mechanisms that shut down the furnace. However, blocked chimneys in older heaters can cause a buildup of carbon monoxide. This is a deadly gas that is colorless, and odorless. It is very dangerous.
Inspect at the ground level to be sure your chimney caps are intact. Over time, caps can rot and a decent gust of wind can even blow them away. This is an important part of the cooling system in a metal chimney. Additionally, it prevents animals from seeking shelter in its warmth and serves to keep the weather out. A cap on a masonry chimney will also prevent animals and keep the weather out.
If your furnace has a masonry chimney, it should also be checked. Water vapor is a by-product of the combustion of natural gas. This water vapor can saturate the masonry inside the chimney. Over time, the acids in the water can damage the mortar.
It’s a good idea to make checking and cleaning your water and furnace chimney a part of your routine home maintenance procedures. Call DRX Duct Cleaning at (908) 755-2950 to set up your inspection and water or chimney cleaning today! And remember, if you suspect a problem with your hot water heater, call your plumber immediately. If you feel there may be an issue with your furnace, contact your HVAC professional. It’s better to be safe than sorry!