Symptoms of Dirty Ducts & Indoor Air Pollution:
• Worsening asthma, allergies, and other respiratory problems
• Headaches & nausea
• Shortness of breath
• Sinus congestion, sneezing, and coughing
• Eye, skin, nose, and throat irritations
• Memory loss, dizziness, fatigue, and depression
As reported by a 2005 study regulated by the National Institutes of Health and cited in Total Health Magazine, the most frequent home allergens deriving from dirty ducts are seasonal pollen, mold, dust, dust mites, animal dander, and chemicals including formaldehyde, capricious organic compounds, traditional paint and finishes, and perpetual fabric treatments.
Fun Fact: One out of every six allergy sufferers’ symptoms can be directly linked to the pathogens & fungus found in their air ducts.
NADCA notes that it helps to think about the HVAC system in your home as the lungs, breathing in and out air. Also, if your ducts look dirty, they probably are. NADCA further goes on to explain that in a regular 6-bedroom house about 40lbs of dust is generated every year. All this dust is being pulled into the lungs of the home and blown back out into the home, on average, about 7 times per day.
You should have your air ducts professionally cleaned every couple of years. More frequently depending on if you are a smoker, have any pets, or if you are having any construction done in the home; dust and other particles from the work can get into the system. You can always check the inside of your vents by sticking your phone or camera inside and take a picture with the flash on. If it looks dirty, then it probably is. Make sure to visit the NADCA website and look for a certified technician close to you.
IN ORDER TO EVADE THE HEALTH HAZARDS CAUSED BY UNHEALTHY AIR:
- Get your HVAC system checked out by a NADCA certified company- Having the ducts cleaned by a NADCA certified company ensures that you will have your ducts cleaned by industry standards.
- Set your air conditioning system on “recirculation”– By doing this, your system will extract most of the mold & pollen from your home.
- Consider having hardwood floors or tile in your home as opposed to carpet-
Before entering your home take off shoes or wipe them thoroughly before entering.